Path & Flowerbed Upgrade

 

Allotment with new flowerbeds and path upgrade work in progress, early Jan 2014.

Allotment with new flowerbeds and path upgrade work in progress, early Jan 2014.

The last two weekends I made significant progress at the allotment. On the east plot, I have dug the top 4 inches of topsoil away from the paths and laid down an equivalent volume of bark which is provided free by the allotment owner. I’m hoping this makes it easier to weed. Last summer I simply ran my rototiller over the paths to clear away weeds. We’ll see if bark is easier to manage. Also, during rainy periods the paths become a morass, so bark is much more comfortable to walk and kneel on than this:

The paths were a quagmire when it rained.

The paths were a quagmire when it rained.

 

The path before digging and laying bark.The path after taking off the top 4 inches of topsoil and laying bark.

I have also been cleaning up my junk pile at the entrance to the plot, and replacing it with rock-lined perennial beds which I hope to use for flowers. The various materials previously in the junk pile are now in a packing crate that I salvaged from the field behind.

Salvaged packing crate used to organise my materials pile which formerly was a complete mess.

Salvaged packing crate used to organise my materials pile which formerly was a complete mess.

The weather on Sunday was miserable with rain and wind all day, so I’m itching to get some more work done this weekend.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *